THIRTY THIRD INSTALMENT


Layla and I were sitting watching a movie at her house when I heard Jay's car again. Every time I heard that sound I shivered.

It was late and Layla said she was going to bed. I don't know why but this night I had a really bad feeling. "Layla! Can I please sleep in your room? I have a bad feeling" I said with a shaky voice and tears in my eyes. "Sure Emily, come on we will put a mattress beside my bed".

Layla carried her little girl up to her room (Layla's daughter sleep with her as I had taken the spare room). 

I have to explain Layla's room to you. I explained her house layout in my last instalment.

When you looked in to Layla's room straight head was a beautiful queen bed behind it was a full length window with long white lace curtains. On the wall to the left was a painting and there was a bed side table just beside her bed. To the right was a built in wardrobe that took up the entire wall and the doors were sliding mirrors. It was a lovely fresh room.

We put the mattress down on the right hand side of her bed. We dressed my bed. I went off the have a shower and get changed in to my bed clothes while Layla laid with her baby girl. I came out and laid on my mattress which was quite a bit lower than Layla's bed. You couldn't see it when you stood at the door.

We laid talking for a while it must have been past midnight when I finally started to fall asleep. Jay's car had been going past all night so we found it hard to get to sleep.

I was woken to Layla tapping me on the arm and whispering "Emily! Did you hear that?". I hadn't heard anything but I laid listening then I heard the back door being opened and tapping. "Layla!! I'm scared" is all I could manage the whisper. " Emily, move closer the my bed and don't move, don't make a sound pretend to be asleep. I will do the same" she whispered back. 

My heart was pounding in my chest as I laid up against the side of Layla's bed facing the mirrors whaling the door space. I had closed the door when I came in from the shower. I heard footsteps downstairs inside. I followed the sound of the foots steps with my mind as they made their way up the stairs. They seemed to stop at the top. Then I heard them go to the room I had been staying in. I heard the door open and a voice say "she's not here". By this stage I was frozen and petrified. Then I heard the footsteps make there way back down towards Layla's door. 

It was dark in Layla's room but my eyes had adjusted as I had been to afraid to close them. I needed to see what was coming.

I saw and heard the handle to Layla's door turn and the person opened it enough to look in and for me to see that the figure at the door was holding a knife straight up and down. There was a reflection on the knife from the moonlight that snuck through Layla's window. My chest tightened and started to burn. All I could think is 'please don't see me'. I then made out the face it was Jay. I felt sick and my chest started to ache. I don't know if you have ever been that scared but for me in that moment I was so scared my body was hurting. I was hoping he wouldn't see me because if he did! Well all I can say is he didn't bring the knife for no reason..

After what felt like forever he must have forgotten that there was someone in the room as he definitely would have seen Layla and her baby in the bed but he slammed the door and started running down the stairs "she not fucking here" he shouted and it was only then that I heard a second set of footsteps. They slammed the back door and I was still frozen. I heard 2 car doors and the car sped off.

To this day I don't know who the second set of feet belonged too.

After we were sure that the car was gone Layla checked if I was ok . She told me to stay where I was and she went to check the door. I swear we checked the lock before going to bed. There wasn't really a reason for checking as we never used it. Layla came back up and laid down. She told me there was no damage to the door. It was almost like they had a key.

I couldn't sleep that night as I was worried he would come back and this time finish what he came to do the first time. Layla finally fell asleep and I guess I should have felt ok as you didn't think I was in the house bit there was no way.

The next day we went to see mum at home. Layla told her what happened and mum told me to come home. I was so torn. If I came home mum wouldn't be safe and if I stayed with Layla she wouldn't be safe but Layla piped up "Aunty x, she fine with me really. He doesn't think she is there. Just make sure you lock up at night and tell Arthur and Barry what happened so they are aware" mum reluctantly agreed. 

I went back to Layla's and for the next few nights I couldn't sleep. We hadn't heard Jay's car for a while so it should have felt ok but I couldn't. I know knew he would really kill me using a weapon and this didn't help me sleep or feel safe anywhere with anyone.

A couple of weeks later.. Layla's ex came over and we all went for a drive in his 4WD. I wanted to give them time together but there was no way I was staying anywhere by myself. Layla, her ex, her baby girl and I all got in the front of the 4WD. Layla had her girl on her lap and her legs where laying across mine (this was back in the early 90's so this was allowed back then). 

We drove around and then ended up in a secluded back road where Layla and her ex got out of the car and left me there with the baby while they went for a smoke and a talk. After a whole they came back. I got out of the car. Layla's ex was driving, Layla got in and lifted her baby and sat next to him and I sat closets to the door. We drove back. It was really dark and before we pulled up I leant over and said to Layla "I have a bad felling that he is here". Layla looked at me and said "no it's all good Emily your just in edge, his car is nowhere around". I sat in that seat and didn't want to get out and most of all I didn't want to get out first but I had no choice. I opened the door and looked around. Layla's partner said "you go in ill bring the baby in". I stood so close to the door and the fear building up inside me made me be sick physically. I stood as close to Layla as I could. She waited with me to make sure I was ok then she led me inside. She had to stand in front of me because she had the keys so I felt very venerable standing behind her holding the screen door opened. She unlocked the door and turned on the light. We knew her ex wouldn't be far behind us. This have me a little relief.

Layla checked the house and it all seemed fine. We sat on the lounge waiting for her partner. I heard someone running up the driveway and I thought to myself wow he can run with the baby. Then the door flung opened but it wasn't who I was expecting at that moment at all. 

Coming towards me really quickly was Jay!!!! (As I write this my heart is pounding, I am home alone and it has freaked me out a bit). He grabbed my arm and started pulling me towards the door. "We have to talk" he demanded. I tried to pull away. Then all of a sudden Layla was there pushing him away "fuck off! Leave her alone you coward" she screamed at him. "Layla, I just want to talk to her" he replied calmly. She stood between us. She turned around and looked at me for a reaction. "It fine Layla, we will just be out the front" I said. Why I agreed I had no idea but I did. Jay promised no trouble and Layla said "1 noise and you will have to deal with me!".

I walked down to the end of the driveway and there in the driveway was his car! I hadn't heard it? How did he do that was all I could think.

We stood talking for a while and he kept begging me to get back with him. He was telling me he was sorry and that he couldn't understand why I left him? I don't where it came from but I think I had had enough. I finally told him why ( he should have known he did it all). He acted surprised and kept saying I'm sorry please come back to me. He tried to put that stupid ring on my finger and I pulled away and said "I don't want it and I don't want you" BIG mistake. He looked me in the eyes and with his hands he crushed the ring and pushed it in my face. I felt it cut me. Then he pushed me against the car and grabbed my neck leant by this time I was laying on the bonnet of the car on my back finding it hard to breath. There is no way I could scream and he knew it. I started to cry silently tears were filling my eyes and rolling down the side of my face.

Every time I tried to scream or more he righted his grip. Then all of a sudden he let go and started say "I'm sorry hon, I didn't mean it, in just upset." I slipped off the car and tried to run when I felt his arm go around my neck and he pulled me backwards towards him. He spun me around and then pulled me on the bonnet again he punch me in the face the a flourish of punches followed not just my face but my tummy as well my baby. I screamed and within seconds he was laying on his back after tripping when Layla had pulled him off me. She started kicking him. He got up shouting " your fucking dead Emily! If I can't have you no one will" he got in the car and sped off.

Layla walked me inside. During this time Layla's partner was no where to be seen. When I got inside he was sitting on the couch holding their little girl. He had to have walked straight past me when Jay was doing it and I didn't notice and he didn't do anything!!

Layla took me upstairs and made me stand in front of the mirror in the bathroom. "She this Emily? Do you see it? This will get worse and next time you might not be here". "How can I bring my baby in to this life? I have to do something. He can hurt me but not my baby. If he can do this while I'm pregnant imagine what could happen and what he could do to my baby" I said to my bloody face in the mirror.

I asked Layla to call the police. Her partner left and we sat waiting for the police to arrive. It took a while for them to arrive and it wasn't anyone I knew. They took my statement and told us to call if anything happened again. They also told me to get to the police station the next day and make a formal complaint. They were going to find him.

The next morning. We went to mums and this time she told me to get in the car straight away without us even saying what had happened. She saw it. She took my down to the police station to make a complaint and get a restraining order.

Would it help? .....

0 comments:

Post a Comment