SEVENTY SECOND INSTALMENT


Every day after that night I would get a call whenever Matt was on duty. At about 10pm each night we would get a knock at the door and it would be Matt and his partner coming for a coffee and a check in to make sure everything was ok. 

I think I should describe Matt. He was over six foot tall, almond skin, brown hair with sun kissed natural highlights and dark eyes encircled by long lashes. He was extremely athletic and his overall body structure screamed 'I work out'. He was very confident in his stance and when he walked he held his head high. I don't think many people would think to cross him as his confidence was imposing. He was a gentle giant but not when he was in uniform and on the street. All park of the uniform I guess.

It was good to know that we had people looking out for us. It made me feel a little safer knowing that a police car was parked out the front almost everyday at some point so if Jay saw this it may make him stay away or at least I was hoping.

Tina and I would go out once a week to the club with the girls and have a great time. Adam wasn't there and that was a blessing I could just get on with life. When we finished at the club we called Matt and his partner (we were commanded too) and they would pull by the pub, pick us up and take us to the club. We were not allowed to go anywhere without them knowing and dropping us off so we were safe. Then when we had finished in the early hours of the morning we would call again and they would take us home, make us coffee and ensure we were ok. It was a really good feeling.

One morning at about 3am I heard knocking at my window. It was only a light tapping but enough to wake me. I slowly got out of bed and twisted the door handle to my room. I snuck down the hall to Tina's room. I woke her and she just said "Emily, call Matt, he will come straight away". I felt bad waking Tina but I was freaking out. I turned and walked to the phone and dialed Matts number. As the phone started to ring I heard a mobile ring outside. "Hi Emily, I'm out the front. I didn't want to wake everyone but we need a coffee" phew the tapping on my window was Matt and not Jay. I walked to the door opened it and said a tired "Hello" and started back to my room and as I walked off I said "you know where the coffee is" smiled and went back to bed. I heard the kettle boil and the spoon stirring in the cup. I snuggled up in bed and fell asleep really quickly it was amazing to think that having police in your house can rid you of your fears and make you sleep restfully. Not long after I felt someone kiss my cheek as I slept. I opened my eyes and saw Matt looking at me. I didn't know what to say I just smiled a little and closed my eyes to go back to sleep. I heard my bedroom door close as he walked out and them I heard the front door close behind them as they left. 

I woke in the morning to the phone ringing. I was so very tired but pulled myself up, dragged my feet to the incessant ringing and sleepily said "Hello". "Hi Emily, it's Matt. What are you up to today" he asked. I couldn't believe he was calling as I knew he hadn't finished until probably this time and he should be going home to rest. " nothing I don't think" I responded not really knowing what to say. "Do you feel like a visitor?" I said no problem and the next thing I hear is a car door shutting and footsteps walking up the driveway. I walked to the door opened it and there he was standing there.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment