SEVENTY FIRST INSTALMENT


At about 10pm I heard someone at the back door trying to open it. The door was in our laundry and as I heard the noise I freaked out. The blind was closed in that area so no one could see in. I ran in to Ava's room and got her out of bed and sat with her and Tina on the lounge.
Tina got the phone and dialed the police she grabbed Ava and handed the phone to me. I told the officer on the emergency line what had happened and they told me to turn all the inside lights off and put the outside lights on as people can't see in from light to Dark. I handed to phone over to Tina whilst I ran around turning the inside lights off and the outside lights on. I then ran back to the phone and took over the call. They stayed on the phone with me as the noise of the door being pulled got louder. They had dispatched a police car to come ASAP as they had my records from when I was in New South Wales. I was shaking but Tina was staying calm. Ava had fallen asleep on Tina's lap which I was very grateful for as I didn't want her to feel my fear.
I wanted to call the boys to come over but I couldn't as I had to stay on the phone with the Emergency service (police) the person in the end of the phone could obviously hear my breathe change to the point I was almost hyperventilating. "Calm down the police are on the way Emily, just breathe" the calm voice on the end of the phone said to me. Just to put you in my shoes have you ever been so afraid that you can't breathe, you can't understand words that people speak, your heart feels like it is going to explode out of your chest, your palms are sweeting profusely and your entire body is shaking so much you can't manage to get words out if your mouth within stuttering and you make absolutely no sense. Well this is exactly what was happening to me. 

All of a sudden there was a knock at the front door. I screamed without thinking. The person on the phone said "it is the police Emily, your safe now" I walked over to the door and there was a deep voice that came through the wooden door "Police!" I opened the door and as I did I collapsed on the ground. The first officer knelt down and grabbed my shoulders. He then put this hand to my chin and lifted my face up so my eyes met his "It's ok Emily, we're here now" I'm Matt. As he was speaking to me the other officer walked over and spoke with Tina, by this time Tina had laid Ava on the lounge and she was walking him the the other back door (not the laundry door). Matt did not leave me. He spoke with me about what had happened and helped me up. Ava was still asleep. He took notes on what I told him. He told me he was going to go with his partner for a minute and make sure everything was ok. I freaked out and grabbed his arm. I truly was petrified, he turned and looked and me and said "Emily just wait here, we will be outside and will be straight back" I then at that very minute realize how stupid I must have looked. I shook it off and walked to the kettle to make a cup of tea. Matt was right he was straight back. He and his partner both stood talking to Tina. I over heard them say that the door had been jimmied but they had now shut the door and broken the broom to put the wood in the slider so it could not be opened.

After they had spoken for a while Matt walked over to me and said "how about a cuppa Emily?" I turned and made us all a cuppa. He then helped me carry the cups to the table so we could sit down and walk through everything again. When we had finished our tea they had finished their report and got ready to leave. By this stage I was a lot calmer but as I saw them go towards the door I started to worry again. Matt turned to me and said "if anything! Happens call us again and we will be here straight away we will also drive by every hour to make sure your ok" I didn't want to seem like a sook so I told them thank you for taking the time to come by and promised I would call if it happened again. We locked the door after it closed behind them.

Tina and I walked to the lounge room and turned on a movie. That night I had no intention of going to sleep. At about 2 am I heard a knock at the front door and went straight to the phone as I picked it up I heard that deep voice again "Emily! It's me Matt" I ran to the door and opened it. There Matt was smiling "is everything ok Emily?" He said "can I come in?" I let him we went straight to the table and I asked if he wanted a tea or coffee. He said he was worried about us so decided when he had finished his shift he would see if we were ok. We decided to sit in our second lounge room on opposite lounges and continued to chat until the sun came up. 

I remember waking up and finding myself covered in a blanket and Matt was gone. He had waited until I finally fell asleep, covered me with a blanket and locked the door behind him.

I looked around to see where he was as I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep when I realized what he had done all I could think is that he was a lovely person...

0 comments:

Post a Comment