SIXTY SEVENTH INSTALMENT


Every day I was home Rhonda would come over. She was a god send for Barry. She kept him in line. As she was Lebanese she had beautiful black hair, dark skin and dark eyes that sparkled every time she looked and Barry. When I saw them together I was so very glad they were together and I knew that this would be forever. 

I had seen Barry have other girlfriends but this one was special with a capital S. Rhonda came from a very traditional family and to her family came first and she thought of us as family. Her family liked Barry but he was not Lebanese so they would not allow them to marry.

During my last week there I call Tina to make sure she was ok. "Emily, everything is fine. There was a call for you the other day from a guy but when I told him you were back with you mum for a break and asked who he was he hung up" she told me.

My heart sank. Tina didn't know his voice but she knew it was not a long distance call. Back then if you called long distance there was a sequence of beeps as you answered the call before you spoke. My first though was that it was Jay. If it was not long distance than that meant he was in Western Australia and he had my number so I would assume that he knew where I was living. We continued to speak for a while and I told her my thoughts. I told her to make sure She always had someone there. Tina had not had to deal with Jay but she knew all about him. Before hanging up I told her I loved her and to stay safe.

When I got off the phone Mum looked at me. She knew something was wrong and asked me to go with her to the shops and Asked Barry and Rhonda to watch Ava. Barry knew Mums tone as well as I did and he knew Mum needed to talk to me without even speaking a word. 

We got in the car and Mum asked me immediately "what's wrong sweetheart?". I looked at her and a single tear rolled down my cheek as I told her about my conversation with Tina. Mum told me not to worry it could have been anyone. She knew as well as I did that my gut feelings were usually right. I really couldn't believe that this was going to happen all over again. We went to one of the major shopping centers and Mum just tried to keep my mind off of it. She always knew how to make me feel better. I never needed her to buy me things or spoil me with material possessions I just needed her to be there, just stand beside me and she always was. After spending hours away we got in the car and returned home.

That night we all sat down to eat and Barry and Rhonda were talking about getting engaged soon. We were so excited. They were glowing, oh so very happy, I had never seen Barry like this. He had not a care in the world. They were perfect. It was so wonderful to see them together. Rhonda and I were talking about dresses etc she couldn't wait. Barry was going to get her a ring. He wanted I pick it himself. 

Rhonda went home that night and was going to tell her parents. She didn't care what they said she was going to be happy and marry who she wanted. Barry dropped her off.

They were young but who's to day young marriages couldn't work, after all my Nan and Pa were young and were married till Pa passed away.

The next day Barry called Rhonda's house and her Mum answered the phone. Barry asked for Rhonda and after a while he came out to us and said "they said Rhonda has gone away for a while?" He looked blank. "She'll be fine she's probably gone to the shops or something" I said to him. "Just give her a call a little later" I saw in his face he was worried but I didn't want him to worry about nothing so I changed the subject so that he didn't well on it, I knew there had to be a reason he was concerned as he was pretty intuitive.

Later that day he tried again and he got the same answer, again he can out and told me what was said. I told him not to worry again and I made him some lunch. These calls continued until the day before I left and I told him we should go and check on her. I drove as he wasn't in a state to drive. The entire time I was at Mums they spent every waking moment together so it was strange and I could not long put Barry off.

When we arrive we pulled up out the front of Rhonda's parents house. I saw the door open as Barry went to get out and an older lady came out. If was Rhonda's mum I found out later. Barry stood speaking calmly with her, I said in the car and waited as it was not my place to interfere. He spoke with her for about 10 minutes then returned to the car looking more confused than I had ever seen him. He slummed down on the seat and I didn't want to ask but I knew I had too. "What's happened Barry?" I asked. "She's the oldest child so they have sent her to Lebanon to sell the family land" he responded. "I can't believe she didn't call me and say goodbye or come around and tell me" he continued. The rest of the trip home we sat in silence and when we got home he walked straight to his room and slammed his door. Mum looked at me and asked what had happened. I walked her to the table and explained what was said. Mum did not believe this story and she was right not too.

The next few days Barry didn't leave his room. He was hurting and couldn't figure this out. I didn't blame him. Ava was the only one who could really speak to him as he didn't want to talk. Him speaking with Ava was a release for him he didn't have to tell her his feeling he just had to have a kid chat. 

The day we flew back Barry didn't come to the airport. He said his goodbyes and went back to his room. This must have been the first real broken heart he had ever had. I told him it would be fine as soon as she sold the land she would be back and they could kick off where they started. I knew how much they truly loved each other and that doesn't not just stop in a minute, a day, a year, a decade or even a lifetime. I think it sank in a little but he still couldn't put the pieces together and to be honest I couldn't blame him.

With all of that happening I didn't have time to worry about what I would be going back too but the minute we pulled up at the airport I felt my drama landing on my shoulders again. 

Ava cried so much her little body was shaking when we had to say goodbye. I tried to keep it together but I knew that it would be a very long time before I saw my Mum again. She the breakdown was inevitable. It was a very hard goodbye. 

As we say on the plane I calmed Ava with a book and crayons and looked out the window. I contemplated what we were going back too. My broken heart returned, was Jay going to be waiting?



0 comments:

Post a Comment