TWENTIETH INSTALMENT


During the Holidays I decided to go with my Mum and Barry to visit my Pa and Nan. I hadn't seen my Pa in such a long time and I missed him dearly.

When we pulled up at the front of the house on the lawn I saw my favorite person in the world walk out to greet us, my Pa. We went inside and all sat in the lounge room. My Nan was in the kitchen getting some biscuits. I looked out and saw her walking towards us. She stopped at the base of the stairs that led to the second floor. She stood there for a while and I heard her say "No". 

Just a little bit more info on me. Believe it or not but since I was very little I would see people that were not there. It always happened when something was about to happen or if something had happened. My mum had this happen when I was 3 months old to the day. She heard me crying and came to my room. There next to my bed was her brother who lived nowhere near us . She saw him touch my cheek and I calmed down. He didn't say anything at all. She asked what he was doing here and he said "Goodbye" then just disappeared. She didn't know what had happened. She told me that she went to lay down and the phone rang it was only about 5 minute later. When she picked up the phone one of her other brothers told her that (Uncle Ron) had passed away. She told my uncle that she already knew and that he had come to visit and say goodbye. This uncle was a bit put back as our family is pretty grounded especially the men but he left it at that. Like I said believe me or not but mum told me this happened and as similar things have happened to me all my life I can't say it didn't. Now back to Nan.

I walked over to her with my Mum to see if she was ok. Nan's face was white like she had seen a ghost. She looked straight at Mum and said "Ronny and Mum where at the top of the stairs". We all looked up. I couldn't see anyone. Mum looked at Nan and said " what did they say?". Nan replied " Mum didn't speak but Ronny said it's ok Mum you can come now we are here for you". Mum walked with Nan to the kitchen and I went back and sat down. They made a pot of tea. Mum walked in and sat next to me. She put her finger to her lips and made the shhh sounds. I knew not to say anything while Pa was around. 

I looked out the door and saw Nan walking back towards us. She was carrying a tray of Tea and biscuits. As she entered the doorway in to the lounge room the tray smashed to the ground and Nan fell. She was unconscious... We called an ambulance and Pa sat on the floor trying to wake her up. Mum was crying but not loud. I just stared, after what Nan had just told us I was in shock.

The ambulance arrived and got Nan to the airport. She was flown straight to the Royal North Shore in Sydney. They told us that she had a 1% chance of survival. Nan had had a massive brain hemorrhage.

Nan was in hospital for months. Pa was by her side the entire time. She beat the odds and survived. When she woke I was told the first thing she tried to say was "Has Kell had the baby?" ( Kell was my aunt via marriage). When she was stable they transferred her back to our town where she had a tube in her throat that she had to be fed through.

I went there everyday. I would have wash my hands and put on a coat and mask so as not to infect my Nan. I had to unclip the tube and clean it out and feed her.

Nan needed to learn to talk and walk again and even years later she still couldn't speak properly or walk without my Pa helping her. He gave up everything to be with her 24/7. He promised her he would never leave her.

Their love was something that I strive to have everyday. I think now it is too easy to give up. Back then they stuck it out through thick or thin.

I told Jay all about this, we spoke about everything. We were walking to down town at the shops one day and Dan was walking towards us. I squeezed in close to Jay. He looked at me worried then looked up and Dan was the only one on the street. Jay stared at him and Dan just walked past with his head down really quickly. Jay and I went and sat in a small cafe and he said "Emily! Who was that?". I had tears in my eyes and didn't say a word Jay said "it's him isn't it, I'm going to fucking kill him!!!". I said "please just leave it Jay, enough please". He looked at me and he had a look in his eyes that I didn't like. He was angry but not just a little angry his eyes had changed colour to a dark grey. That scared me because I didn't know what he was capable of and I just wanted it to go away. Jay had no intention of letting this go...
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment