TWELFTH INSTALMENT


Up early for my first day of High School. I had my knee length navy blue skirt neatly and white shirt neatly pressed by Mum. Like any13 year old I was nervous about starting a new school and being the youngest as we had just come from primary school where we were the oldest. The positive was that we had all spoken either on the phone or in person the day before to organise a place to meet.

I arrived at the school and remember think to myself this place is huge. The nerves really started to kick in.

I met all my friends out the front and walked in together in a big group supporting each other and trying not to act nervous. When the bell rang we went to roll call and we were told our grade classes and luckily we were all mostly in the same class (win). We organised a place to met before we all went to our first class. (This was beside A Block and this is were we stayed the entire time i was at school). A teacher asked us if we had any brothers or sisters that went to the school and I said yes a step brother and step sister. He asked who and I said my step brothers name. Big mistake! As much as I loved him I didn't realise he was really bad at school and my year adviser tarred me with the same brush from that moment on. Had I thought about it I should have said my step sister as she was loved by all. She was so beautiful on the outside and in.

During my first year not much happened but the second year I ran into a guy in year 11 (we will call him Dan). Dan was about 6 foot tall dark haired and lean and he smelled amazing (he wore drakar I found out later). Every time I walked past him he would smile at me and as I was always with my friends they used to say " he so likes you". I used to smell his cologne wherever I went. After about 3 months I found a letter in my bag from Dan. It was an introduction to him and he said that he liked me and wanted to chat during lunch. I was so excited but had really bad butterfly's and I made Kylie and Nigel and Trish come with me. Not actually with me but stand around and watch for support from a distance.

I started to date Dan. It was so exciting. One day he asked if I would like to go to the movies with him and his friends. I didn't think mum would let me but I was surprised as she allowed me to go as long as I was home before 10:30pm. 

Before I go on I have to give you a bit more information on me at this age. I felt 10 foot talk and bullet proof and as I did Karate mum knew I could look after myself. I was a typical popular girl (not stuck up just popular). I looked at the world and took it on like a bull at a gate. I was in the school softball team, played hockey and did my karate so I was very fit and my body was perfect (though at the age you don't think so) my skirt got shorter as did all my friends and we walked very confidently around the school. I was also a bitch to people and because of what I had gone through as a kid and what sometimes happened at home I was a hard person. No one ever messed with me at school. 

I will give a couple of examples of my personality at school.

1. One day a friend of mine (we will call her Lilly) came to school really upset. I sat with her and found out that her father was sexually abusing her and bashing her. I tooled her to the office and asked to speak to the school councillor. When we went to go in the councillor asked me to stay outside. Lilly protested and said she wouldn't go in if I wasn't there. We went in and Lilly told her everything. The councillor advised that she had to speak with the year advisor ( we will call him mr B). After Lilly had pulled herself together we went out and say with our friends as it was a break. After the break We went to the art block and when we walked past the teachers lounge we heard them all discussing Lilly and what had happened to her out loud with the door open. Lilly was distraught and I was furious (I was a protector of my family and friends). I told Lilly to go to class and I would sort it out. I walked in and asked them how they found out. One teacher told me it was Mr B and to go back to class. Well I was having none if that I wanted to punish him for breaking confidence. I stomped off down to the science block. I didn't realise it at the time but Lilly, Kylie, Trish, Nigel and a few other friends were following me.

When I arrived at the science block I went straight to the teachers lounge barged in and said "where is Mr B" as you can imagine it was not said nicely. The teacher was shocked and just looked around in the direction of Mr B. I don't remember moving but I must have as I punched him in the face and next thing I know I am in the principals office. The principal said "for what you have done Emily we are going to call your mother as this is assault and you will be expelled" I retaliated with a quick tongue " well you has breached confidence by telling everyone about Lilly and I know my rights you have to suspend me before you expel me". Needless to say I was sent back to class my Mum was never called and I didn't get expelled or suspended. Lilly went home that day and never returned to our school I still to this day wonder what happened to her.

2. I was sitting in the science block and a new girl (she had only been there about 3 months) decided for some strange reason to call my mum a SLUT. When she said this I asked what she had said and she repeated it. In my calmest voice I said to her " it may not be today darling and it may it be tomorrow but I would watch your back". At that age I couldn't really let things go and I had an overwhelming need to defend my family and my friends. After school I walked out the front and Kylie followed me as she knew I was going to get myself in trouble. When I walked out I spotted her, she was mucking around on someone crutches. I asked her again what she had said and she swung one of the crutches at me. I don't really remember what else happened I must have blacked out as the last thing I remember is her sitting on her backside crying and covering her face. I know from what was told to me what had happened (I had beaten her up). Kylie walked over after and kicked her also. 
I walked home as we only lived a block away and mum was home sitting on the lounge. When I walked in I said " I might me on assault charges tomorrow mum". She jumped up and asked me why. When I told her all she could say is "sticks and stones, Emily". A few days later her mother called and asked me to leave her alone I said if she comes back I will do the same (I wouldn't have but I really didn't like her). She moved schools. Now I am older I have found out she has changed her religion and is doing ok but back then she was always trying to be popular and not in the right way by making people feel bad or insulting them and their families. She just did it to the wrong person.

3. I was walking. To the tuck shop to get a can of coke and a pie when this aboriginal girl came up and went to punch me. I blocked the punch and punched her in the face and I did a round house kick to her hip. I was confused as to why this had happened as I really did get along with all the people at school. This girl was only new and I had never spoken to her. I found out after when I heard the laughter that she was acting tough and talking about how good she was eta and one of the aboriginals dared her to hit me ( they knew I did karate). Poor girl really but I am glad it was me and not one of my friends.

4. This same year Barry started high school. One day I was walking to the toilets to have a cigarette when I saw him running out of A Block and he had blood coming from his left ear. I ran over and asked what had happened and all he could manage was " she did it and I didn't even do it". I calmed him down and asked again. He said I was flicking my ruler on the desk and the teacher told me to stop so I did the my friend flicked his ruler when she turned around she came over and grabbed my ear and pulled it". The pull was that bad that bad that it tore hence the blood. Well my blood boiled and I went straight up the stairs with Barry in toe. I stomped in to the class and the teacher said "get out of my class" I faced everyone and said " who flicked the ruler on the desk the last time. I think they were more scared of me than the teacher. Barry's friend out his hand up and as this happen I walked over to the teacher and punched her in the nose.just as I did this the head of geography walked passed and grabbed me by the arms and dragged me down stairs to the principals office. He didn't yell or say I was expelled he simply asked what had happened. I explained that she assaulted my brother and I lost it. I stated that no one should very do that to a person and that she was suppose to teach not attack children. I was sent away and that teacher lost her job.

I was a tough nut on the outside but a broken on the inside. I do not condone what I did and I would never allow my children to do this. I honestly can say it was a protection mode that I went in to. If knew what I know now I would have handled these situations better but I guess we can all say this.

Next instalment I will go in to my first date and what followed..




0 comments:

Post a Comment